Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DSLR

For the longest time I wanted a DSLR like "everyone else" had, so I finally bought a brand spankin' new Nikon D60 last June. Funny thing is, while I've used it a bit, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I am a bag lady who never goes anywhere without a notebook and pen, something to read and something to knit. I am apt to forget my purse, which I've managed to trim down to the smallest medium-est Baggalini, but I rarely leave without a notebook. Or my mug of tea, for that matter. Unlike my camera.

The journey to my camera started with a tiny seed of desire back when Superhero first got hers. It waxed and waned for years until I just finally went for it. And quite frankly, like much of what we think we really want, it was rather -- anticlimactic.

I mean, yes, I felt cool, walking around with my professional looking camera (it's really not, well yes it is, professional looking, but it's easy to use, trust me). It takes great pictures -- yes, IT takes great pictures. Me, I just snap away. Because as has been said, the only good camera is the one you use. It's not really about the camera.

And I'm not really interested in learning to use the DSLR. I've never been very good with too many choices -- they overwhelm me. And everything moves so fast these days, especially our lives. I can't keep up. I try to cram everything in fast, just in case I miss something. Crazy thing is, I'm always gonna miss something. That's life. And do I care about ev-er-y - lit-tle - thing - I'm - go-ing - to - miss? Truthfully? In the grand scheme of my life, yes and no. But, that's life and it's another post (that maybe someone else can write?). Personally, I want to get over the things I feel I've missed and move on. Beyond stuck. So, for me it means letting go of anything extra that doesn't serve who I am and who I want to be. I've been hauling vintage sewing notions, craft supplies, clothing, housewares and more off to the swap shop, but some things I have to just plain sell, my camera being one of them.

 If you're in the market for a barely used, like new Nikon D60 totally set to go (including a case, the Tamrac Express Bag 6 in Black)), have I got a deal for you (without giving an exact quote it's well under $500 and a bit over $400). So email me at michelleshopped at gmail dot com if you're interested. Because I'm trying to follow rule number one of Gretchen's Happiness Project and that rule is be yourself -- Be Patricia (makes sense that it would be the first step to being happy). So, first up in eliminating what isn't Patricia is the camera (plus I could use the money). Because my way of connecting and seeing people is through language rather than a lens. Because I'm Patricia. At my new job the other day, I said to my boss, "for me, it's really not about the job, it's about the people." (Translated to mean, it's really not about the camera or the clothes or the house or the...it's about the people. Something else I've learned about myself).

3 comments:

dosfishes said...

Great post. If I know anyone in the market or the DSLR I will let you know......Hope all is well. I want a photo of the baggalini! Isn't it great to realize it isn't about the stuff anymore and about who you spend your time with. I totally get the crazy I don't want to miss a thing, but know that I will too. xox Corrine

Steffi said...

So true! Thank you for sharing!

naomemandeflores said...

I have the same camera! :)